When it comes time to sell your Lexington KY home, you want to maximize its potential and get top dollar. One of the best ways to do this is by boosting your home’s curb appeal. Curb appeal is an important factor to consider when it comes to selling your home, as it’s one of the first things potential buyers will notice.
What is curb appeal?
Curb appeal is the visual appeal of a home when viewed from the street. It’s the first impression that people get when they drive by or approach your home. It’s the combination of exterior features such as landscaping, paint, lighting, and other elements that come together to create a cohesive look and feel.
Curb appeal is important for a number of reasons. It’s often the first thing potential buyers will notice about your home, so it’s important to make sure that it looks its best. It’s also a crucial factor in determining the value of your home. Studies have shown that homes with good curb appeal often sell for higher prices than those with poor curb appeal.
Benefits of improving curb appeal
Improving your home’s curb appeal can be a great way to increase its value when you’re ready to sell. Here are some of the benefits of improving your home’s curb appeal:
- Increased home value: Homes with good curb appeal can often fetch a higher price than those with poor curb appeal.
- Increased marketability: A home with great curb appeal is more likely to attract potential buyers and stand out from the competition.
- Improved energy efficiency: Improving your home’s curb appeal can also help to improve its energy efficiency by reducing the amount of heat that is lost through the exterior.
- Improved home security: A well-maintained exterior can also help to improve your home’s security by deterring potential intruders.
Curb appeal statistics
Curb appeal can have a significant impact on the value of your home. According to the National Association of Realtors, homes with good curb appeal can sell for up to 5% more than homes with poor curb appeal. In addition, studies have shown that homes with good curb appeal can sell up to 28 days faster than homes with poor curb appeal.
Trends in curb appeal
When it comes to improving your home’s curb appeal, there are certain trends that are becoming increasingly popular. Here are some of the top trends in curb appeal:
- Outdoor living spaces: Outdoor living spaces such as patios, decks, and fire pits are becoming increasingly popular. These spaces are great for entertaining guests and can provide a great place to relax and enjoy the outdoors.
- Sustainable landscaping: Sustainable landscaping is becoming more popular as people look for ways to maintain their yards without using harsh chemicals or wasting resources. This includes using native plants and mulch, as well as collecting rainwater to use for irrigation.
- Curb appeal-friendly lighting: LED lighting is becoming increasingly popular as an energy-efficient way to light up your home’s exterior. This type of lighting is not only energy-efficient, but it can also help to create a warm and inviting atmosphere.
Examples of homes with great curb appeal
The value of great curb appeal for any home can hardly be overstated.
But choosing exactly how to add or to improve curb appeal is not always as easy as it may seem. So, visual examples can be helpful tools.
There are many exceptional examples of homes with great curb appeal. Here are some of our favorites:
1. This beautiful historic home located in Portland, Maine, has great curb appeal thanks to its gray siding, cream-colored trim and red front door. The attractive shrubbery landscaping is also well-maintained and adds to the home’s overall look and feel.
2. This modern farmhouse-styled home located in Pineville, North Carolina, has great curb appeal thanks to its classic style and bright colors. The landscaping is also well-maintained and helps to create a welcoming atmosphere.
3. This mid-century modern home located in Seattle Washington, is full of great curb appeal thanks to its geometric lines and bold natural wood colors adding warmth to the cool exterior. The clean lines of the well-maintained exterior adds to the overall attractive look and feel of the home.
Creating your curb appeal improvement plan
Once you’ve identified the trends in curb appeal and have seen some examples of homes with great curb appeal, it’s time to create your own curb appeal improvement plan. Here are some tips to help you get started:
- Identify your goals: Before you start making improvements, it’s important to define your goals. Think about what you want to achieve and how much you are willing to spend.
- Make a list: Make a list of all the improvements you want to make, as well as the materials and tools you will need. This will help you stay organized and focused.
- Do your research: Research is key when it comes to improving your home’s curb appeal. Look for tips and advice from professionals, as well as examples of homes with great curb appeal.
- Set a budget: Before you start making improvements, it’s important to set a budget. This will help you stay on track and within your means.
- Hire professionals: If you’re not comfortable making the improvements yourself, it’s a good idea to hire professionals. This will ensure that the job is done correctly and that your home’s curb appeal is improved to the highest standards.
Tips to improve curb appeal
Now that you’ve created your curb appeal improvement plan, it’s time to start making improvements. Here are some tips to help you get started. Landscaping ideas for boosting curb appeal:
- Plant native plants: Native plants are a great way to add color and texture to your lawn. They are also low maintenance and can help to attract wildlife to your yard.
- Add water features: Water features such as ponds, fountains, and waterfalls can add a calming element to your yard. They can also help to attract birds and other wildlife.
- Add outdoor lighting: Outdoor lighting can help to create a warm and inviting atmosphere. It can also help to make your home more visible at night and deter potential intruders.
- Add outdoor furniture: Outdoor furniture can help to create a comfortable and inviting outdoor space, and signal to buyers that the outdoors can be an extension of the home’s living space. Look for pieces that are comfortable, made from durable materials and can withstand the elements.
- Painting the exterior: Painting the exterior of your home is one of the quickest and most cost-effective ways to improve its curb appeal. When choosing a color, try to pick a shade that complements the existing architecture and landscaping. It’s also a good idea to use a high-quality paint that will last for years.
- Painting or replacing the front door: Your front door is one of the first things potential buyers will notice when they approach your home. Make sure to choose a color that complements the rest of your home’s exterior and choose a style that reflects the style and character of your home.
- Refreshing or replacing your mailbox: Your mailbox is another important element of your home’s curb appeal. Make sure to choose a mailbox that is in keeping with the style of your home and is the correct size for your needs. It’s also a good idea to add a few decorative elements such as flowers or plants to add a touch of color and personality.
- Upgrading lighting: Upgrading your home’s lighting can be a great way to improve its curb appeal. Choose lights that are energy-efficient and in keeping with the style of your home. You can also add decorative elements such as hanging lanterns or string lights to add a touch of personality.
- Pressure washing: Pressure washing is an effective way to remove accumulated dirt, grime, and mildew from the exterior of your home. This will help to make your home look cleaner, brighter and more inviting. Make sure to use a pressure washer that is designed for use on the exterior of your home and follow all safety instructions or simply hire a professional to do the work.
- Planting flowers: Flowers are a great way to add color and texture to your home’s exterior. Choose flowers that are native to your area and that will thrive in your climate. You can also add trees, shrubs, and other plants to create a cohesive look and feel.
- Fire pits: Fire pits are becoming increasingly popular as an outdoor living space. They can provide a great place to relax and entertain guests. Make sure to choose a fire pit that is in keeping with the style of your home and is the correct size for your needs.
Low-cost curb appeal ideas
Improving your home’s curb appeal doesn’t have to be expensive. Here are some low-cost ideas to help you get started:
- Clean up: One of the easiest and cheapest ways to improve your home’s curb appeal is to give it a good cleaning. This includes power washing the exterior, mowing the lawn, and trimming trees and shrubs.
- Paint: As we stated earlier, painting the exterior of your home is one of the quickest and most cost-effective ways to improve its curb appeal.
- Add plants: Plants are a great and relatively inexpensive way to add color and texture to your home’s exterior. It’s best to choose plants that are native to your area and that will thrive in your climate.
- Upgrade lighting: Adding just a few lights can be a great way to improve your home’s curb appeal. Choose lights that are energy-efficient and in keeping with the style of your home.
- Add accessories: Accessories such as flags, wall art, and wind chimes can help to add a touch of personality to your home’s exterior.
Resources for improving curb appeal
There are many great resources available to help you improve your home’s curb appeal. Here are some of our favorites:
- Home Improvement Magazines: Better Homes and Gardens, Southern Living, This Old House and many more magazines offer great tips and advice on how to improve your home’s curb appeal.
- HGTV: This website offers tips, advice, videos and articles on how to improve your home’s curb appeal and successful curb appeal makeovers.
- HomeAdvisor: This online site offers advice on home improvement and maintenance projects, and how to improve your home’s curb appeal, as well as a directory of professionals who can help.
Improving your home’s curb appeal is an important step when it comes to selling your home. It can help to increase its marketability and value, as well as make it more attractive to potential buyers. By following these tips and using the resources available, you can create a unique and inviting look that will help to boost your home’s curb appeal and maximize its value when selling.
If you’re ready to sell your Lexington area home, give us a call now! (859) 203-5760